Monday, October 18, 2010

I Am a Comfort Eater!

The Scale.  Sometimes it's my friend, sometimes it's my enemy, but it is always lurking in the background.....always there in the back of my mind.  Tonight is the weekly weigh-in for the 60 day challenge.  The pressure of weighing in is extreme for many people...the anxiety, or downright fear of failure can sabotage our efforts.

I am a comfort eater!  There, I said it, the first step to recovery.  But my comfort eating is steeped in a long family history.  In my family, we all learned from infant on, that food was family, food was comfort, food was entertaining, food surrounded around our lives.  All family functions centered around food and drinks.  Now don't get me wrong, I have wonderful memories of our family get togethers.  And, oooh, the food.   But eating and drinking as a means to feel good became part of our DNA. That's just the way it is.

My cousin Steven, died 6 years ago at the age of 42....he weighed nearly 600 pounds.  RIP Steven, you are loved and missed.

I have two cousins who recently had gastric bypass surgery. (Stomach Stapled) They are from both sides of the family.  Congratulations to Lori and Randy, for taking the steps to change their lives!! You look awesome and are an inspiration to others.

Get the picture?  To this day, when family or friends want to get together, my first thought goes to food.  I dote over my kids when they visit, making sure I prepare their favorite meals....and especially desserts.  Unfortunately, I have been passing this "food dysfunction" on to the next generation.  Its time to stop.  Its time to change my thinking.  There ARE other ways to handle stress, anxiety, depression or fear.  There ARE other ways to connect with my family and friends.  For you too.  None of us want our children and grandchildren to battle the same demons we do.  Let's stop this generational curse right now.

So back to the scale.  Instead of grabbing a carton of ice cream and a spoon, or a box of dry cereal, or chocolate chips that were hidden in the pantry, I am going to ease my anxiety with some exercise.  Every time I feel the urge to eat for comfort, I am going to go for a walk, or pick up my kettlebell at home and start swinging, or turn up the music and DANCE!  Exercise releases endorphins that make us feel good.  It's the same feeling you get when you eat chocolate or fall in love.

Today I am not going to sabotage my efforts!  I am looking forward to the weigh-in.  :)

Until tomorrow,
Sue

3 comments:

  1. Great post! It's so hard to break the food=happy behavior patterns. Good luck on the weigh in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It went well, and everyone on my team did well too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad is terribly obese and his quality of life is not what it should be. I know he is disgusted with himself and wishes things were different. He used to be fit and trim up until his late 40s. That is why I'm so concerned about fitness and nutrition. I want to live life to the fullest without limitations.

    ReplyDelete