Thursday, October 21, 2010

Today is a Sick Day

Something I don't do well is stay home when I'm sick.  I always feel like I'm letting someone down.  In this case, Michael had to pick up my classes at the gym.  Of course he is wonderful about it, but I always have a twinge of guilt when I stay home.

Truth is, I couldn't have gone in today anyway....stomach flu.  So thank you Michael, for covering for me.

My post yesterday was about taking a break if your body is telling you to.  Well, I guess that's what my body is telling me.  Luckily, I was prepared.  I had a bottle of Pedia Lyte in the pantry.  When you are unable to eat or drink, your body loses its balance of electrolytes.  What is an electrolyte in the body?  In human health, electrolytes aid in a number of vital bodily processes. Many heart and nerve functions, muscle control and coordination, and the body's ability to absorb fluids all depend on a healthy balance of electrolytes. The most common electrolytes found in the human body are sodium, potassium, magnesium, chloride and calcium.

Drinks such as Gatorade, Power Ade, and Pedia Lyte, are designed to replenish your electrolytes that are lost due to excessive sweating (ex: running a marathon), diarrhea, or vomiting.  Anytime you become dehydrated, your electrolytes become out of balance.  Replenishing your electrolytes is one step to recovery.

So, I recommend keeping a bottle of Gatorade, or Pedia Lyte in the pantry, just in case.  When you are unable to leave the bathroom, its hard to go to the store and pick up a bottle.

Hope you are having a happy, healthy day!

Until tomorrow,
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment